The Hastings and St Leonards on Sea
Ladies Miniature Golf Club
Established in 1925

About Us

A photo of the members in in the 1930s.

A photo of members in the 1930s

The Club started in 1925 and was originally called 'Hastings & St. Leonards Ladies Bowling and Miniature Golf Club.' In the 1969/70 season the club became independent of the bowls club and altered the name to the above. It began with 80 members and had in place a waiting list. In the early days the club was quite selective regarding new members and only top players were allowed to enter the 'Championship.' Every game had to be refereed and there was no talking whilst playing. Things are much more relaxed now!

The 'Green-keepers' used to change the holes each week. We now have a sub-committee to meet up with the Liaison Officer of the Council to discuss the condition of the ground, make changes for the following year, and decide what the fees will be to play.

Around 1995/6 it looked as though we might have to change our venue to Grosvenor Crescent. The council wanted to upgrade the site and put in a Casino. After a lot of hard work, meetings with the council, and legal advice, the committee managed to win the case to keep the ground for the club.

Then in 2001 we were going to lose the use of the clubhouse, giving the tennis club sole use. Newspapers and local radio were contacted for publicity about the proposed change, legal advice obtained, and once more we won the case and continued to share the pavilion.

In 1995 clubs and organisations in Hastings were asked if they would like to submit an embroidery sample depicting their club. We submitted a sample, beautifully worked by Rita Graham which, with others that had been worked, was put into a wall hanging for the Town Hall.

In 2008 the Council were kind enough to show the club's emblem on the Floral Clock displayed at the entrance to Falaise Hall.

Until recently social events such as New Year lunch, Opening Tea and Prize Day were grand occasions - evening dresses were worn at these events. We had summer outings, first a half day on Tuesday so we could get a game in, then a full day so as we could go further afield.

Many of our silver cups were presented by local families, including Badcock, Debenham, Johnson, Crisp, Hart and Morren.

Members from the 1981 Season

Members from the 1981 season

Our Diamond Jubilee

Our Diamond Jubilee in June 1985

We continue to have as our president, either the Mayoress or Lady Mayor, who attends our Opening Tea, Prize-giving and Good Cause Day on which the club raises funds for a local charity. We have in our current membership two of those past presidents.

A voluntary committee of 13 members is responsible for the efficient running of the club.

Some of our members have been with the Club for more than 20 - 25 years. At present, our two longest serving members joined in 1984 and l987.

To celebrate the 90th anniversary of the club, we had a birthday tea in February 2015, and we look forward to welcoming new members and continuing with the club for many more years to come.